Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Farming is a very good way to build a self-sufficient base in terms of food. Some types of foods and Ingredients can only be obtained by farming. In Empyrion : Galactic survival farming is done by planting sprouts in a Growing Plot and placing a Plant Grow Light above them. Sprouts can be made in Food Processor. Farming gives a good amount of xp (100xp for planting, 200xp for harvesting at difficulty level 2) which helps to level up faster in early stages in the game.
Requirements[edit | edit source]
At minimum, the following are needed:
- A functioning Base that can be left running continuously for at least 35 minutes (real time).
- A Plant Grow Light
- A Growing Plot
- A Sprout of some kind
With the introduction of oxygenated rooms and radiation in Alpha 6.x.x, radiation makes plants die quasi-instantly. Lack of oxygen prevents the growth of plants, but does not kill plants.
Basic Setup[edit | edit source]
In order to start farming:
- Place one or more Growing Plots with the dirt side up (default orientation) on either a Base or Capital Vessel.
- Place the Plant Grow Light on the ceiling above the Growing Plot.
- Place a Sprout on top of the Growing Plot; a seedling will appear.
- Leave the base running for the growing time of the planted sprout. The playfield also has to be loaded, i.e. a player has to be in the same playfield.
- Use the interaction key (default 'T') to harvest the plant once it is mature (see Farmable Plants for images).
Farming for Efficiency[edit | edit source]
- The most efficient, self-sustaining food is Canned Vegetables.
- This requires equal parts Space Durians, Pumpkins, and Tomatoes, but since Pumpkins have a growth time of 35, while Space Durians and Tomatoes have a growth time of 30, the ratios you should plant depends on your style of farming.
- If you intend to do your planting and leave for longer than 35 game-minutes, an equal ratio of all plants is preferred.
- If you will be vigilant and constantly tending your garden, you will need to plant 7 Pumpkins for every 6 Durians and Tomatoes. This will create a mathematically equal yield over multiple 30 game-minute spans if all plants are harvested on time.
To learn more about farming see the farming guide